
I was recently asked to list my "heroes, from the past or today, who you most admire and desire to emulate." The late John Wimber made the short list. I never met him but I love him - love how he loved the Church - how he made people feel empowered and encouraged- all the people. I love how his humble and obedient heart freed others to take risks. He was a rock n roller turned Jesus freak. A revivalist who was the catalytic figure in worldwide revival in the late 80's and early 90's - most Americans have never heard of him, most Brits have and consider him a spiritual father of their movement. He made life with Jesus simple, fun and full of power.
A few zingers from the intro of Everyone Gets to Play - the second compilation of John Wimber writings. Just started this morning- the type of book best read devotionally - sipped not gulped- so I look forward to some pearls over the next few weeks.
"I can either get a tent and have a huge revival where I can do this by myself, or I can release it to the people, and equip them to play." - Wimber
"I had good teaching, but John Wimber and company had good fruit" - Bill Johnson
"John came with his ministry and left it with us" - David Pytches
"I realized that sometimes there is no way to explain obedience and sacrifice to God to those who do not see the Pearl." - Wimber
0 comments:
Post a Comment