I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.- Jesus
Judy Kennedy died this weekend, on the eve of the day when a whole year becomes knew. Maybe you don't know her, I've known her and her family most of my life. She was diagnosed with terminal cancer several years ago. If I could describe Judy in one word it would be "solid." She knew hospitality and she knew how to serve people. People like being around people like that. But yesterday I was able to watch a video that Judy left for friends and family. When our finiteness goes from "out there" to "right here" you do things like that. Judy told us this, and I paraphrase- "Jesus is real and because of that I don't fear death and I am assured that not only is there purpose in my death but there has been great purpose in my life."
One of the defining moments of my personal spiritual journey happened about 25 years ago. I was sitting in a church service and the preacher invited people who wanted to begin a relationship with Jesus to come to the front of the church. Judy's husband Bill was a deacon in our church. A deacon means that you are recognized as a leader, an example for others to follow in the way you live your life. When the preacher gave the invitation Bill Kennedy got out of his seat and walked down the aisle with tears rolling down his cheeks. I didn't understand. He explained that he had been religious for years but had never really surrendered his life to Jesus Christ. A few days later I saw him baptized. I still remember him going into the water in his white V-neck t-shirt. It was absolutely beautiful.
Do you know what baptism is? Death. And it's a humbling death. Even the physical act of it is humbling and embarrassing- to be in front of spiritual family and God, with nothing but a Hanes V-neck and some swim trunks- acting out a death and resurrection as a symbol of... new life.
The Kennedys continue to model for us the truth that, in the place Jesus called His Kingdom- the place that is more real than anything else- death leads to life multiplied. Physical death, death to pride, death of a dream, death of relationships...if you know Jesus death is the door to life.
Do you know what attracts me to Bill and Judy Kennedy?...humility. People weren't attracted to Jesus because he was a great leader or because he was handsome or because he knew the right people- people were attracted to His humility. The same humility that brought Jesus to earth and to a cross (Phil 2) is the same humility I saw in Bill as he walked the aisle, went into the water, and the same humility I saw in Judy as she fought cancer all the way to the grave.
Humility to death to LIFE
0 comments:
Post a Comment