Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sing Together (fb)


Stacy and I had walked the length of La Rambla- the most famous street in Barcelona.  It was a beautiful spring day and we were enjoying perhaps the greatest walking city in the world.  Suddenly we heard a sound...it was singing...we followed the sound off of the main drag, through the alley, around another corner...getting louder...suddenly, a courtyard, full of English people with flags singing at the top of their lungs, hundreds of them!  We later learned that they were in town for a proper "football" match against FC Barcelona.  If you're a European football fan- you're not in the family unless you know the songs.

My faith community has only existed for about 24 months.  My family grafted in less than a year ago.  Something is happening in our weekly gatherings.  I've asked a few friends and they agree- there is a fresh mojo flowing that is drawing us together.  It happens when we sing together.  We are starting to love singing together.  

So today I'm asking "why?"  It isn't because the band is great- most weeks there isn't one.  And it isn't because we are singing the "latest and greatest."  I do believe in my little community the God of the universe is drawing near to us in lots of ways- but there is a really practical thing that I think is hugely impacting this sing thing.  It's the same thing that enabled hundreds of English football fans to converge on a courtyard in the middle of Barcelona.  For the most part we sing the same handful of songs over and over.  These are becoming "our" songs- the way "we" connect to God and to each other.

At Christmas I attended a service at the church where Stacy grew up.  My in-laws still attend there, as do many high school and college friends.  It has never been my "church" but I've been there a dozen times over the last 25 years.  So I'm there at Christmas and I'm loving it and I'm feeling like "I'm part of the family- maybe I'm the cousin 18 times removed that doesn't come around much, but I a part of the clan nonetheless."  And I reflected then that a big part of the reason I feel at home is that I know the songs.  This church has sung the same three songs, in the same peculiar 70's style (the era of the community's founding), every week for the history of the community- and I know the songs!  So when everyone stands up and starts singing "To be alive..." I'm right there with them- which means- I'm in!

Music is the language of the heart- and singing together, throughout human history, has served as glue binding communities together- defining who is in and who is out.  It is SO powerful.  So I was thinking, how could we release that power in our families, our small groups, our neighborhoods, our businesses?  I know Wal-Mart has their sing-alongs when they open new stores and train new "team members."  I dunno- maybe at 3:00 every afternoon at our office we could gather 'round and sing a rousing version of Jimmy Eat World's "The Middle" or Van Halen "Right Now."  You laugh- where do you think so many of the great hymns came from.  That's right- guys getting off work, heading to the pub for a few cool ones, then someone would start singing and everyone would join in.  Those songs were so familiar that they made for great church songs (sans the original lyrics)- everyone already knew the melody.  That's the power of corporate singing for culture creation.  I'm just saying...

0 comments:

Post a Comment