Saturday, March 06, 2010

Why I am a runner (fb)


I watched the sun rise this morning over the Sorghum Hills on a ten-mile run.  It was beautiful and everything felt right.  I felt like a runner…I am a runner – so started thinking about why.

I am a runner because Stephanic Fischer spoke destiny over me.  She walked up to Stacy and I after church one day, looked at me and said “I see you as a runner.”  I hated running, looked like anything but a runner, had no plans to run.  But her words were powerful- words are powerful.

I am a runner because I started running.  Four years after Stephanie’s comment I took it with me and headed out the door for my first run.  I ran one minute then walked one.  Eventually I ran two minutes then walked one.  Then I ran ten minutes and walked two.  Eventually I ran a mile without walking.  I was happy with little victories and pathetic baby steps but I stayed…I ran.  You can’t be a runner if you don’t run.

I am a runner because of Eric Mixon.  He is my training partner and even though we don’t often run together I think about him every time I train.  He keeps me accountable to live the life I want to live.  I wouldn’t run without Eric.  You can’t run without accountable community.

I am a runner because I speak the language, I’ve had the experiences.  If I was injured tomorrow and never ran again I am forever part of the running family.  I have run for years not months.  I have experienced pain and suffering and victory.  It is a lifestyle not an event.

I am a follower of Jesus.  Destiny was spoken over me, I responded with a smidge of faith and started running towards Him, running with Him.  Accountable community keeps me running but, regardless, I am a part of a spiritual family forever.  I’ve had the experiences, I’m learning the language of Kingdom.  I want to help others run.  The family is supposed to be bigger.   Everyone is invited.

0 comments:

Post a Comment